• Text Colour:
  • C
  • C
  • C
  • C
  • Text Size: A A A
New phone number

03000 132 132

Contact us »

Your Rates

Mid Ulster District Council held its rate rise to 1.46% for the 2017-2018 financial year.

The increase means a ratepayer in a property with an average capital value will pay £5.63 more each year to fund local services.

The Council agreed its new rate at a meeting on 13 February 2017, where emphasis was placed on minimising the impact on ratepayers, while continuing to deliver quality services and planning for future investment in, and improvements to, services and facilities.

In setting its budgets for the year ahead, the Council increased costs of some £2M, many of which were beyond its control. However, close scrutiny of budgets and a drive for efficiency savings resulted in the Council being able to absorb many of the additional costs.

At the time of setting its rate, the Council did not know what increase, if any, was to apply to the 'regional rate'. The regional rate is set by central government and represents the largest portion of the overall rates bill which people pay. Approximately 58% of Mid Ulster residents' rates bills goes directly to help to fund services like health, education and roads, which are all the responsibility of central government. The remaining portion of 42% goes to the Council to fund services it provides.

You can view details of the Council’s net annual expenditure of over £41M below:

Service Net Expenditure %
Culture & Heritage 6.7
Recreation & Sport 23.2
Tourism 3.0
Community Services & Assets 3.20
Cemeteries 0.8
Environmental Health 6.7
Public Toilets 1.3
Licensing -0.12
Waste Collection 11.9
Waste Disposal 20.6
Other Cleaning 6.5
Minor Works 1.2
Economic Development 4.9
Planning 1.5
Building Control 0.6
Off-Street Parking 0.01
Democratic Representation & Management 3.9
Corporate Management 1.5
Central Services to the Public 0.4
Bank Interest & Investment Income 0.8