Civil partnership ceremonies are conducted by the Registrar and take place in the designated office venues or in another venue which has been licensed for partnerships.
Any two people, regardless of where they live, can register a civil partnership in Northern Ireland, provided that they are:
- the same sex
- aged 18 or above on the day of your ceremony (consent is needed if either of you is aged 16 or 17)
- unrelated to one another in a way that would prevent you from forming a civil partnership
- free to enter into a partnership, for example, neither of you is already a civil partner or legally married.
You must complete a civil partnership notice form, and return it along with other documents to the Registrar's office in the district where you plan to form your partnership.
Civil Partnership notice forms are available from any of our 3 registration offices and can also be downloaded here/from the 'downloads section' opposite.
You will need to fill in the form and provide these documents:
- your full (long version) birth certificate (authorised photocopies are not acceptable)
- your passport or national identity card - the Registrar can advise on alternatives if you do not hold either of these
- a consent form (if you aged 16 or 17) - these are available from the Registrar
- if you have entered into a civil partnership before, a court order of dissolution for that partnership
- if you have been married before and the marriage was dissolved, a certificate of divorce or annulment or a certified copy decree (decrees must be absolute or final)
- if you have been married more than once, only the documents for your most recent marriage are required
- if you are a widow, widower or surviving civil partner, the death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner.
|In the Mid Ulster District there are 3 Registration Offices, one in each of the Council offices:
|Cookstown Office, Burn Road, Cookstown
Dungannon Office, Circular Road, Dungannon
Magherafelt Office, Ballyronan Road, Magherafelt
|T: 03000 132 132
The registration offices are open from:
Monday to Friday (the Magherafelt office is closed on Wednesdays)
9.30am to 12.30pm and from 2.00pm to 4.30pm.
All of the registration offices operate an appointment only system.