• Text Colour:
  • C
  • C
  • C
  • C
  • Text Size: A A A
New phone number

03000 132 132

Contact us »

When do I need to apply for Building Control approval?

Here you will find examples of the type of work where you will and won't need to apply for building control approval.

If in doubt, always contact the Building Control service on 03000 132 132
E: buildingcontrol@midulstercouncil.org


Examples Of Work Requiring An Application
Erecting a new building or extending an existing building
Changing the use of a building (eg house to offices)
Converting a roofspace or garage
Carrying out structural alterations, such as replacing existing walls, floors or stairs; making two rooms into one; removing a chimney breast; installing cavity wall insulation
Installing central heating or replacing/relining flues and replacement boilers
Examples Of Work Exempt From Requiring An Application
Certain porches not exceeding 5m2, conservatories, open carports or covered areas being extensions not exceeding 30m2
Certain detached garages and single storey buildings not exceeding 30m2 in area
Certain sheds not exceeding 15m2 in area
Certain agricultural buildings
Fences, garden walls, gates
Certain greenhouses
Replacement windows of dwellings and fireplaces and replacement sanitary fittings and drainage