An ancient mountain range with rocks dating from at least 650 million years ago, the Sperrins have been home to people for millennia. Ideally, a trip of one to three days will let you experience the ancient sites in the area in all their glory.
Beaghmore Stone Circles
Start your day by watching the sun rise at Beaghmore Stone Circles. Nestled amongst the green grass and heather clad moorland sit 7 mystical circles, 10 rows of stones and 12 cairns, carefully arranged.
Unearthed in the 1930’s, hearths and deposits of flint tools found at the site have been carbon dated to 2900-2600BC. Several of the stone rows run over the tumbled walls of field structures which also date from Neolithic times.
The stones speak to ancient rituals and to a people who understood astronomy. When you visit this ancient site look up in wonder at the sky and reflect, that the people that built the monuments observed the same sky, sun, moon and stars.
OM Dark Sky Park and Observatory
Once you’re fed and watered at lunchtime, you can go the short distance to OM Dark Sky and Observatory (opening on 17 October).
OM Dark Sky Park and Observatory in Davagh Forest is the only one of its kind in Northern Ireland. It is one of two Dark Sky Parks on the island of Ireland and is the 78th area in the world to be accredited as an International Dark Sky Park.
There are many things to see in the night sky throughout the year, so anytime is a good time to visit and there’s a handy astrological calendar provided online so you can map out your visit.
Visit OM Dark Sky and Observatory to find out about the Dark Sky and Landscape experiences.
Where to stay
Sperrinview Glamping, Davagh
Glenavon House Hotel, Cookstown
The Shepards Rest (Caravan and Camping), Draperstown
- Guided tours: Tours of Beaghmore Stone Circles from £30 per person (Quote covid5 to save £5 per person) with complimentary picnic.
- Accommodation packages: from £200 (based on 2 sharing) in partnership with Apparo Guesthouse, Draperstown.
Glenavon House Hotel
- 1 Night Bed and Breakfast from £130 per room per night based on 2 persons.
- Family Break from £95 per person sharing.
- Seasonal Sunday Special from £60 per person sharing.
- Seamus Heaney Sunday Special from £62 per person sharing.