The existing ruins of Derryloran Church date to the early C17th and are recorded in a survey of 1622 as ‘almost complete’.
It replaced an earlier pre-Norman church which stood on the same site and the 17th century church appears to have incorporated some of the worked stone from the earlier building. The church was extended in the 18th century when a western porch and bell-cote were added and the grand gateposts were provided.
The building continued in use as the parish church long after the development of Cookstown, but in 1822 it was abandoned for the new church in the town. Some of the graves in Derryloran graveyard date back to the early 17th
Historic Environment Division, Department for Communities
T: (028) 9082 3207