This site was originally a pre-Norman monastic site associated with St Ciaran (Dachiarag). It is referred to in the Annals in 810 & 838.
The visible remains on the site are of the Medieval parish church which was destroyed in 1380. The sandstone cross is set west of the church and has been called ‘archaic’ and ‘primitive’ but it is clearly unfinished.
The cross is 2m tall and consists of a tapering shaft surmounted by a circular head. A ringed cross has been light tooled on the east face. A flat boss was worked and straight lines marked on the west face but the stone was not further cut back, perhaps as a result of a flaw on the south side.
Historic Environment Division,
Department for Communities
T: (028) 9082 3207