Skip to main content

Tullaghoge Fort

Dating from the 11th century, Tullaghoge Fort is an ancient dynastic centre, coronation and burial place.

Tullaghoge Fort was a royal power centre which came to historical prominence in the 11th Century when it was a dynastic centre and inaugural place for Cenel nEogain (later the O’Neills).


It is a polygonal embanked enclosure, separated from an outer bank by a wide flat space and no ditch. From its hilltop position, it commands wide views of the area and is visible for miles around. The site was abandoned by 1622.

Facilities include:
  • Car and coach parking area
  • Interpretation panels
  • Path to the monument


Tullaghoge Fort
Tullywiggan Road
Cookstown, BT80 8UB
Tel: 028 8676 9949
Email: tourism@midulstercouncil.org

A to Z of Council Services