Skip to main content

Entertainment Licence

Where persons are admitted to a premises for the purposes of entertainment (subject to charges), a licence must first be obtained from the Council.​

Apply online for an Entertainment Licence
Apply online to change the terms or conditions of an Entertainment Licence

There are generally two main types of entertainment Indoor and Outdoor.

Indoor Entertainment

  • Music, singing and dancing

  • Theatrical performances

  • Circuses

  • Boxing, wrestling, karate matches or exhibitions

  • Snooker or pool matches or exhibitions

  • Video machines, pool and snooker tables

Outdoor Entertainment

This is entertainment of a musical nature that takes place in the open air and on private land.  Premises must meet certain technical requirements before a licence can be granted and must comply with any conditions attached to a licence once issued.

Eligibility Criteria
A licence may not be granted, renewed or transferred if the applicant has been convicted of an offence of either providing unlicensed entertainment, or providing entertainments otherwise than in accordance with the licence terms and conditions within 5 years preceding the date of the application.

Regulation Summary: The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) (NI) Order 1985

Application Evaluation Process 

Applications must include:

  • Three copies of plans of the building

  • Certification of testing/ provision of fire fighting equipment

  • Certification of installation/ testing fire alarm systems

  • Certification of installation/ testing of emergency lighting systems

  • A Periodic Inspection Report on the Electrical Installation

  • Certification showing that there is in force a policy of public liability insurance

  • Certification in respect of flammability of curtains, carpets, chair coverings etc.

Applicants must also place a notice in one newspaper circulating in the council district that an application for an entertainment licence has been made. This permits members of the public 28 days to make any representation in relation to the application.  Copies of the application will be sent to the Police Service of Northern Ireland and the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS). Their comments will be taken into consideration when deciding whether or not the licence should be granted.

An inspection of the premises will be carried out by the Council and the NIFRS before a new application can be approved. This may require works to be carried out to enhance fire safety.  All premises will be inspected by a Council Officer to ensure that the premises meet technical requirements before a licence can be renewed.
It is Council policy that all renewal applications must be completed within three months of its submission, except where substantial works may be required or alterations have taken place. Any application not completed within this time will result in a recommendation to the Council that the licence should not be renewed. If the application is to be so refused the applicant will be given the opportunity to make representations to the council before a final decision is made.
On receipt of all certification, comments from PSNI and NIFRS, and following an inspection of the premises a recommendation will be made to the Council in relation to the application.
Where objections have been received, either from members of the public, or the statutory consultees, the applicant and objector will be offered the opportunity to appear before the council and such representations will be considered before a decision on the application is made.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Tacit consent will only apply where a renewal application is received before the date of expiry of the existing licence. This means that the licence is deemed to remain in force beyond the expiry date of the previous licence until such times as the application is withdrawn, renewed or refused in accordance with the time scales detailed above. Applications received after the date of expiry of an existing licence will be treated as an application for the Grant of a licence.

Tacit consent does not apply to applications for the Grant or Provisional Grant of a licence. It is in the public interest that such applications are fully processed before a licence can be issued. The Police, Fire and Rescue Services and the public all have a legitimate interest in the outcome of such applications therefore Tacit Consent does not apply to minimise the risk of a licence being granted inadvertently, subsequently resulting in public disorder, removal of protection of the safety of the public and a cumulative adverse environmental impact on the vicinity of the premises. Therefore, if a licence has not been granted within the time scales set above you may not provide entertainment at the location in question until such times as the application is determined.

If you have not heard from the Council within a reasonable period, please contact us. 

Failed Application Redress:

Please contact Mid Ulster District Council in the first instance. Applicants will be notified within 10 working days of any council decision in respect of the application.

Where an application is refused the applicant can appeal to the county court.  This must be done within 21 days of the date the applicant has been notified of such a decision.

Applicants can also appeal any term, condition or restriction imposed on them by the licence.  Again, this should be done within 21 days of receiving notification of the term, condition or restriction to the county court.

Licence Holder Redress:

Please contact Mid Ulster District Council in the first instance. A licence holder may apply to vary a condition attached to a licence. Applications are made to the district council.

Consumer Complaint:

  • We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery).

  • If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Licences may be required for the provision of music to the public: