Skip to main content

Hairdresser & Barber Registration

If you operate as a hairdresser in Northern Ireland, you must be registered with your local district council.​

Apply to register your hairdressing or barber business

Mid Ulster District Council has made by-laws relating to the following:

  • Inspecting premises.

  • Ensuring premises are sufficiently clean, lit and ventilated.

  • Detailing precautions to be made in relation to protecting against contamination and infection.

  • Ensuring that anyone employed in such a business has sufficient training on how to use tools and apparatus and for hygienic working methods.

  • To require insurance to be in place against third party liabilities.

Authorised officers of the district council will have the power to enter and inspect premises.

Eligibility Criteria:
No provision in legislation.

Regulation Summary: Hairdressers Act (NI) 1939

Application Evaluation Process:
Application to register your premises is free of charge.

Applications must be accompanied by evidence that there is in force a policy of public liability insurance.  Premises must also be registered for the purposes of Health and Safety legislation.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that all equipment and premises to be used in such activities are inspected and found to be suitable and hygienic before you can begin trading to prevent the transfer of, or contamination from, blood-borne, and other, diseases.

If you have not heard from the Council within a reasonable period, please contact us. 

Failed Application Redress:
You are advised to take up any issue with Mid Ulster District Council in the first instance.

Public Register:
For information on how to access the register of Hairdressing premises contact Mid Ulster District Council in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress:
Please contact Mid Ulster District Council in the first instance.

If a licence holder is convicted of an offence in a Magistrates court and the court cancel the registration, the licence holder may appeal against the cancellation to the court they were convicted in.

Consumer Complaint:

  • We would always advise that in the event of a complaint, the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery).

  • If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress: Any complaints on how a registered premises is operated should be made directly to Mid Ulster District Council.

Trade Associations: None