HSENI and the 11 Councils in Northern Ireland have partnered to deliver a health and safety awareness raising initiative focusing on safe skin.
The Council will visit businesses to ensure that where appropriate, workers are given information, training and equipment to protect skin from workplace hazards.
The initiative will focus on the common workplace skin issues of sun exposure for outdoor workers and work related dermatitis.
When inspectors visit relevant workplaces as part of the initiative they will expect safe skin to be considered in the business risk assessment.
If safe skin is a potential issue they will expect to see effective organisation and arrangements, which may include:
- Risk assessment considering Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) and sun exposure
- Information, instruction and supervision, with evidence of management commitment
- Controls adequate to establish a Safe Working Distance between skin and contaminants
- Personal Protective Equipment (including gloves) used
- Skin inspection in place, with records
- Work-related skin issues reported under RIDDOR
Safe skincare when working with chemicals
Safte skincare when working in the sun
Further information and advice is available online from the Health and Safety Executive website.
Contact the Environmental Health Service on 03000 132 132 and ask to speak to a member of the Health and Safety team.