Skip to main content

Noise Pollution

The most common noise complaints are about loud music, DIY work and barking dogs.

If you have a problem with noisy neighbours, try talking to them and explaining calmly how the noise is affecting you.

If that doesn't work, or you don't feel comfortable taking an informal approach, you can contact the Council to make a formal complaint.

We will then normally ask you to complete a noise monitoring form for two to three weeks to help us gather information on the effect and frequency of the noise and to make sure we visit at key times. If this shows that a noise nuisance may exist, then we will gather further evidence through a visit to your home to assess the noise. We may set up noise monitoring equipment to record and measure the noise.

If we find that there is a noise issue, we will take action. This could mean an informal approach to the people making the noise, serving a Noise Abatement Notice or taking legal proceedings if the offender fails to comply with the notice.

If you would like to make a noise complaint call 03000 132 132 or email our Environmental Health Service.