If you or your partner have recently had a baby, you will need to register the birth. By law, your baby's birth must be registered within 42 days of the date of birth. You can register a birth in any Registrar’s office in Northern Ireland.
To register a birth you will need to fill in a Birth Registration Form GR04. This form is available at any of the registration offices or download at the link above.
|If you are a married/civil partnership couple, the parents can register the birth. You will also need certain information to fill in the form:
- Full name, surname and sex of the baby.
- You should ensure that the name and surname of the child are those by which the child is to be known.
- Date and place of birth.
- Full names, addresses, dates of birth and occupations of the baby's parents.
|If you are an unmarried couple, the details of the second parent may be recorded if:
- Both parents attend and sign the registration form together, or
- A declaration of paternity is produced.
- Where the female couple are not in a civil partnership, the name of the second female parent may only be recorded if the couple were treated together in the UK by a licensed clinic and have both gave written consent to the second female parent being included as the legal parent. In this case both parents must be there to sign the registration together.
|If the parents are unable to register the birth, other people who may also do so are:
- Grandfather or grandmother.
- Uncle or aunt.
- Occupier of the premises where the baby was born
- Any person present at the child's birth.
- Any person who has charge of the child.
Once the birth is registered, you will receive one free short birth certificate and a HS123 infant registration form to help you register with your family doctor and obtain your child's medical card.
Additional certificates, either short or full, may be purchased at the time of registration for £8 per copy. You can pay by credit/debit card, cheque or cash. Please remember that a registration cannot easily be changed once completed.
The registration offices in Cookstown, Dungannon & Magherafelt operate an appointment only system. To book an appointment call 03000 132 132 or email firstname.lastname@example.org