Due to the COVID-19 pandemic registering a death can now be carried out remotely by telephone rather than in person at the registration office.
Current Registration Process:
- When a person dies, the doctor will send the 'cause of death’ certificate by email to the General Register Office (GRO)
- The GRO will then email the Doctor's certificate to our staff in the local registration office
- You can complete a death registration form and email/scan or leave in to the Registration Office
- Our Registrar will then contact the next of kin by phone to clarify the details of the deceased and will then register the death
- Payment can be taken over the phone by debit or credit card for death certificates which are £8.00 each. Death certificates may be required for financial or legal matters of the deceased such as closing bank accounts. If you purchase certificates these will be posted out or can be collected from Reception at the Council Offices.
If you have any queries regarding this process, contact the Registrar on 03000 132 132 or email email@example.com.