You can choose to have a civil or a religious wedding.
Civil ceremonies are conducted by the Registrar and are non-religious. They take place in each of the designated office wedding venues. They can also be conducted by the Registrar in other venues which have been licensed for weddings.
|To marry in Northern Ireland, you and your partner must be:
- Aged 18 or older on the day of your wedding (consent needed if either is aged 16 or 17).
- Unrelated to one another in a way that would prevent you from getting married.
- Free to marry, for example, neither of you is already a civil partner or legally married.
You need to complete a Notice of Marriage Form GRO446 before your ceremony can take place and return it along with other documents to the Registrar's office in the district where you intend to marry. Forms are available at any Registration Office or to download at the link above.
These forms, which give formal 'notice' to the Registrar of your intent to marry and must be completed by you and your partner.
They are valid for 12 months from the date of notice. This means you must tell us about your plans to get married within the 12 month period before your wedding date, and no later than 28 days before your ceremony.
|Notice forms should be returned to the Registrar of the district in which you intend to marry, along with the relevant documents (listed below) and fees.
- Your full (long version) birth certificate (authorised photocopies will not be accepted)
- Your passport or national identity card (the Registrar can advise on alternatives if you do not hold either of these).
- A consent form if aged 16 or 17 (available from the Registrar).
- If you have been married before and the marriage was dissolved, a certificate of divorce or annulment or a certified copy decree (decrees must be absolute or final)
- If you have been married more than once, only the documents for your most recent marriage are required
- If you have entered into a civil partnership before, a court order of dissolution for that partnership
- If you are a widow, widower or surviving civil partner, the death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner.
Religious / humanist - £22 each
Civil Ceremonies - please contact the Registrar
The registration offices in Cookstown, Dungannon & Magherafelt operate an appointment only system. To book an appointment call 03000 132 132 or email firstname.lastname@example.org