What is Get Out Get Active?
We are proud to be one of two Council areas here who are working in partnership with Live Active NI on the GOGA programme to roll out a range of fun, social and inclusive activities and events.
How does it work?
Get Out Get Active (GOGA) is an exciting UK wide programme that supports disabled and non-disabled people to enjoy being active together. It is made possible by founding funder Spirit of 2012 and additional investment from Sport England and the London Marathon Charitable Trust. All partners are focused on getting some of the UK’s least active people moving more through fun and inclusive activities.
GOGA goes far beyond increasing activity levels, it strengthens community spirit, increases confidence and improves mental health. The programme increases the demand for, and the accessibility of, activities. It has been successful so far by tapping into people’s real life motivations such as building friendships, maintaining health, having fun and progressing in life.
We want to support people to be more active especially:
- Families (including intergenerational activity)
- Children and Young People
- Older People
- People living with mental health problems, and
- People with disabilities or long term heath conditions
Who can get involved?
Everyone! Even if you have never taken part in activity before, we hope the programme will offer something for everyone. Our activities will be inclusive and a great place to meet new people as well as to take part with your friends or family. You will always be guaranteed a warm welcome.
We will be offering volunteering and training opportunities within communities across the District to help upskill local people and will also be working hard with various partners to support them to deliver more inclusive activities in your area.
If you have a desire to be more active (even if you have struggled to find something that interests you in the past) then we would love to hear from you.
To find out what activities are already happening contact Rebecca Greenway, the Active Recreation Officer, based at Mid Ulster Sports Arena, or find a list of upcoming events at the Live Active NI Mid Ulster Calendar.
Get Out Get Active in Action
GOGA was originally launched in 2016 in the Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon Council area and Derry and Strabane Council area. While the programme officially ended in both areas in 2019 many of the programmes established continue.
Find out more about the funders who have made GOGA possible
- Spirit of 2012 is the London 2012 legacy and funds activities in communities that bring people together to improve the wellbeing
- of people and their communities.
- Sport England is a public body and invests in projects and programmes that help people get active and play sport
- The London Marathon Charitable Trust’s vision is a society in which everyone is physically active, contributing to their health and wellbeing